Robin Gilbert and Carlos Fittante in "Tigerlily and the Dragonfly". Photo: Julie Lemberger

Spotlight: Queens College Dance Students

Meet the students performing BALAM Dance Theatre's new Balinese dance fusion piece, Jubilant Blossoms, in the Queens College Dance Department's fall 2014 dance concert, Cool Rhythms, Hot Moves.  See them perform this exquisite new work Friday, December 4 through Sunday, December 7.

Justine Rodriguez
Major: Dance
Year in college: Senior
Previous dance experience or types of dances learned:
Modern, Ballroom, Caribbean, West African, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, Ballet, Lyrical














"I enjoy the Balinese piece because it's very different from the norm I'm used to...When I use the fan and sarongs, it reminds me of a flower blossoming... and the head movements remind me of a flower, when they move side to side from the wind."  

Maria Gueros
Major:  Accounting  Minor: Business and Liberal Arts, an honors program  
Year in College: Senior (final semester)
Previous dance experience:
Tap; ballet; Spanish dances, such as Sevillanas, Tango and Salsa; 
Japanese Noh, English Country Dance; and with a group of 
 students, choreographed a Belly Dance fusion piece. 



















“It’s an exciting experience to learn the ancient traditional dance of another culture. I love working with dainty fans and elegant sarongs. They were a little tricky learning to maneuver at first, but they are my favorite part of the dance. They add an air of alluring and enigmatic beauty. I feel the music invites you to dance through its rich elements of chiming bells, xylophones and flutes…This experience is a dream come true."

Marcia M. Francis
Major:  Dance
Year in College: Senior                      
Previous dance experience or types of dances learned:
African, Ballet, Hip Hop, Modern, Tap

















"To me, to dance as a flower feels very delicate.  To be honest, it gives me a sense of pride and humility at the same time.  It makes me feel beautiful, as if I presented to the world… I find the posture, the stance, the curvature the spine, and the positioning of the feet a challenge because the Balinese dance positions are different."

Ariana Spinelli
Majors: Dance, Spanish, Secondary Education
Year in college: Junior
Previous dance experience or types of dances learned:
Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Contemporary, Tap, Jazz, Musical Theatre,  
Hip Hop, Modern, Limón Technique, Flamenco 



















 “Knowing that I am a flower, makes me feel sweet and pretty, and the movements compliment this image very nicely…This experience helps strengthen my appreciation for culture, especially culture in which I had no knowledge of beforehand.” 

 Performance Dates

Thursday, December 4 -Saturday, December 6. 7 p.m
Sunday, Decemberat 3 p.m

Goldstein Theatre-Kupferberg Center for the Arts

65-30 Kissena Boulevard in Flushing, New York 11367-1597

$10 Students/Seniors, $16 General Admission