Thurs., May 25, 1-2 pm. Return to the Garden of Love • FREE
St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church
239 W 49th St, Manhattan, NY 10019 • (212) 489-1340
Gotham Early Music Scene's (GEMS) Midtown Concerts
series presents the debut of BALAM's sequel program Return to the Garden of Love
featuring excerpts from the music Concerts Royeaux
by Francois Couperin, Baroque dance by Carlos Fittante, a tarditional Balinese mask, and an original script by Inma Heredia
. View the concert in a live broadcast at the GEMS
website or YouTube
• Yumiko Niimi - dancer
• Carlos Fittante - dancer
• Mezzo-soprano Eugenia Forteza
• Lisa Terry - viola Parthenia Viol Consort
• Ryan Closs - theorbo
• Dongmyung Ahn -violin
• Dongsok Shin - harpsichord
Sun., April 16, 1-2 pm. Monthly Dance Adventure-Sevillanas Rocieras
Marblehead School of Ballet (MSB)
115 Pleasant Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
$20. Registration required. Drop-ins welcome. Ages 12 and up. No previous experience needed.
In studio and virtual lesson format
March 30-April 2, Metamorphisis: Wu Song and the Tiger,
Chaconne de Phaeton, and Chaconne de Arlequin
BALAM joins Voices of Music
to present an original program of live music and dance.
• Yihan Chen-guest pipa virtuoso, and Kaili Chen-guest Chinese dancer
March 30 Palo Alto
April 1 San Francisco
April 2 Berkeley
March 4, Chaconne de Phaeton (Dongmyung Ahn, Baroque violin.)
Faculty Showcase at QC Arts
Lefrak Concert Hall at Queens College-City University of New York
Feb. 9, Terunajaya - A Balinese Dance Performance/Masterclass/ and Lecture
World Dance and Cultures, NYU Gallatin School of Individualized Study
Dec. 9-12, The Christmas Show. St George Theatre, Staten Island, NY
Nov. 23. Caton School Brooklyn, NY
BALAM and Ballet Fiesta Mexicana join to present Hispanic Heritage Dance Extravaganza. Photo: Yloy Ybarra taken by Julie Lemberger
Wed., Oct. 19 6:30-8:00 p.m. FREE
Hispanic Hertitage Festival Program
BALAM guest performs with the Phyllis Rose Dance Company
Brentwood Middle School, Brentwood, Long Island, NY 11717
Tues., Oct. 18, 11-1 pm. FREE
Danzas de ida y vuelta: A Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration!
Williamsbridge Oval, Bronx, NY
By subway, take the 4 Train to Mosholu Parkway stop, the D Train to the Norwood/Bedford Park stop, the MetroNorth to the Botanical Gardens stop.
Sat. Sept. 24, 4 pm. Arts on the Lake, 640 NY-52, Carmel Hamlet in New York 10512
Taking Flight, an Afternoon of Modern & Cultural Dances
BALAM guest performs with the Putnam County Dance Project.
Sat., July 9, 2:45-2:52. FREE. NICE Festival (Norwalk International Cultural Exchange), 10 North Water Street in Norwalk, CT.Oleg Tambulilingan (Love Dance of the Bumblebees), a scintillating and playful Balinese dance duet choreographed in 1952 by the celebrated Balinese star dancer, I. Ketut Marya (Mario). This dance, popular in Bali, uses music from the exciting Gong Kebyar (bursting into flames) genre and was was in part Mario's response to the glamorous Hollywood movie musicals he experienced while touring internationally.
Thurs., April 21, 1:15-1:55 p.m. FREE
Garden of Love in Miniature
Presented by GEMS Midtown Concerts, and offered in honor of Gladys Isabel Fajardo Luhrs
Church of the Transfiguration, 1 East 29th Street, NYC
Live online at: Watch Live - Gotham Early Music Scene, Inc. (gemsny.org)
Music: Jean-Baptiste Lully's Entree d'Apollon transcribed for solo harpsichord by Jean-Henri D'Anglebert, Francois Couperin's Concerts Royaux 1 and 2, Marc-Antoine Charpentier's Sans Freyeur Dans Ce Bois.
Wednesday, October 6, 7-8 p.m. FREE
Photo: Julie Lemberger
BALAM Festival: Live Cultural Dance and Music
La Nacional: Spanish Benevolent Society, 239 West 14th Street, New York, NY. Reservations required.
• Oleg Tambulilingan (Love Dance of the Bumblebees), a Balinese dance duet with Nani Devi and Carlos Fittante;
• Rama and Sita, a duet from B ALAM’s Balinese/Ballet fusion dance Ramayana story ballet, with Robin Gilbert and Carlos Fittante;
• Kamisama, a Japanese Noh dance solo, performed by Toshinori Hamada;
• El Bosque (The Forest), a Baroque/Balinese fusion duet, performed to the Toccata Arpeggiata (1604) by Giovanni Kaspberger, played live by Ryan Closs and danced by Yumiko Niimi and Carlos Fittante;
• Scottish Tunes (1742), a Baroque musical suite, is performed by Lisa Terry on gamba and Ryan Closs on theorbo;
• La Madrileña, a mid-19th century Spanish Escuela Bolera duet presented at the Paris Opera, performed by Barbara Romero and Carlos Fittante; and
• Panaderos de la Flamenca, an early 19th century Spanish Escuela Bolera dance, in the Andalusian style.
This program was made possible by the New York City Artist Corps and Friends of BALAM.